Domestic Partner Services
Below is a list of services for declared domestic partners of students of the Georgia Institute of Technology. “Declared” signifies the Office of the Dean of Students has received and approved the Declaration of Partnership Status Form and Application from a student of the Georgia Institute of Technology.
A domestic partner relationship is one with a partner of the same or opposite sex which meets the criteria described below.
Students who are eligible for services may elect to enroll their domestic partner in the following services listed below:
• Buzz Card
• Campus Recreation Center
• May Apply for Family Housing
• Stamps Health Service
Any provider may require additional processes or fees to obtain access to the services listed above. Students may wish to contact service providers in advance to ask what is required to access the service.
Coverage is provided to unmarried domestic partners under the following conditions:
- The student must be a full-time student or has paid student fees to participant in the service to which they wish to enroll their domestic partner.
- The student must complete a Georgia Tech "Declaration of Domestic Partnership" in which the parties must swear that they reside together, that neither party is related by blood or marriage to a degree of closeness that would prohibit legal marriage in the state in which they reside, and that they are at least 18 years old.
- To substantiate the existence of such a relationship, the student is required to submit a copy of a current domestic partner registration certificate of any state or local government agency, a qualifying domestic partnership agreement*, or any two (2) of
− Copy of joint deed, lease or mortgage
− Copy of joint bank account
− Copy of joint credit cards or bills
− Copy of designation of partner as life insurance primary beneficiary
− Copy of durable power of attorney or health care proxy given to the partner
− Copy of last will and testament designating partner as primary beneficiary
− Copy of designation of partner as retirement plan primary beneficiary
− Copy of co-parenting agreement
− Copy of adoption agreement
− Copy of joint ownership of a motor vehicle
*NOTE: A qualifying domestic partnership agreement is a legally binding agreement between two individuals creating personal and financial interdependence (i.e., joint and several liabilities for each other’s debts and expenses, responsibility for mutual care, etc.)
4. Upon termination of the relationship, the student will complete the "Declaration of Termination of Domestic Partnership" and submit the document to the Office of the Dean of Students.
Inquires should be made to the Office of the Dean of Students at 404-894-2561.